Monday, September 30, 2019

Chapter Two: The Party

Jane couldn’t remember the last time a week went by this quickly, but it’s now Friday. Her first week was almost over. Becky had asked her over for a sleepover. Mrs. Byers was so excited that Jane was making friends she said yes.
So now, Jane has been counting down the hours until the end of school so she could ride home with Becky.
The bell rang signaling the end of first period. Jane was about to leave when the teacher called her to his desk. She approached with uneasiness.
“I just wanted to know how your first week went,” James said to her.
“It’s okay,” Jane answered quietly.
“How is the book so far?”
Then, Jane became nervous. “I probably shouldn’t have done this, but I already finished.”
James’ response came to her as a surprise. He smiled, “Really?”
“Yeah,” Jane replied, feeling relieved. “I couldn’t put it down,”
“Well, that’s great. I’m glad to hear that.”
“Do you know when we will be reading the next book?” Jane asked.
“Not for a couple of weeks,” James said. “But if you go to the library down the hall, Mrs. West will help you find other books to read.”
Jane smiled, “Okay. Thank you.”
“Did you like the book?”
“Oh, I loved it.” Jane was beginning to like Mr. Mason.
* * *
Later that day, Jane was riding her bike with Becky.
“Got a surprise,” Becky said. “We’re going to a party.”
Jane looked at Becky confused. “Is it someone’s birthday?”
Becky laughed, “You don’t have to have a reason to have a party.”
“What about the sleepover?”
“I told my mom we’re spending the night at a friend’s house,” Becky said.
Jane was uncertain of the sudden change of events, but she pedaled on after Becky.
The party was at a house at the end of the culdesac. There were cars filling up in the driveway and spilling into the street. Kids of various ages were roaming towards the house.
Jane was scared, but she was curious. She had never been to a party like this before. Hopper never let her out of the house, so the closest thing was sleepovers with Max.
They parked their bikes near a tree on the front lawn and joined the mob in the house.
It was a complete madhouse inside. Loud music was blasting from a stereo. Some kids were screaming all around the living room and up the stairs.
Jane continued to be unsure about the whole thing, while Becky was just blown away.
They walked past a group of boys and girls playing Spin the Bottle.
“I’m so glad we did this,” Becky yelled, but Jane wasn’t listening. She was just trying to get through without being stepped on. Becky shoved on.
Jane spotted a group of boys fighting in a corner. Not knowing why, she carefully stepped towards them.
One boy threw another to the ground, who landed at Jane’s feet.
The boy on the floor looked up. “Oh, hey, someone let the fresh meat in here.”
“She’s cute,” a second boy commented.
Jane suddenly realized she must find Becky and get out. She started to back away.
“Hey, where are you going?” the first boy lunged for her.
Jane jumped back, bumping into another partygoer and spilling their drink.
“Watch it, asshole!” the person shouted.
“Sorry,” Jane muttered.
Suddenly, a hand grabbed her and pulled her aside. 
Jane thrashed about trying to break free. “Let me go!” she cried out.
The hand pulled her into a closet and slammed the door. It let her go but it moved to cover her mouth.
“Shh,” a voice whispered.
Jane shuddered, but she eased her breathing.
“Just be glad you’re not with Brody and his goons right now,” the voice continued. “You’re safe now.”
The hand dropped. Jane looked up. 
A light flicked on. It was a tall boy with red curly hair and freckles, as if Max were a boy.
“I’m Andrew, by the way,” he extended his hand. Should have led with that.”
Jane smiled. She shook his hand and said, “Jane.”
“‘Jane,’” Andrew repeated. “What a pretty name.”
Jane blushed.
“So,” she said, “who’s Brody?”
“Oh, that phlegm wad who lunged at you. This is his party. He usually restricts underclassmen, but he was about to make an exception with you.”
“What would he do to me?” Jane asked.
“Brody likes pretty girls,” Andrew said. “The prettier they are, the younger they are, the better they are. He would like to take you into his bed.”
“And do what?”
“You don’t know?” Andrew asked surprised.
“I was homeschooled,” Jane defended herself.
“Well…,” Andrew started looking uncomfortable. He strained when he said, “Do you know how babies are made?”
Jane thought of the days with Papa, how he explained the reproductive system on both the male and the female, and how they come together. She felt sick.
Andrew studied her expression. “So, you do know.”
Jane nodded.
Out of nowhere, there was a sharp knock at the door.
“Hey, Andrew, you in there?” a male voice boomed from outside.
“Shit,” Andrew whispered.
“Come on, Andrew, did you get one yet?” the voice continued.
The doorknob rattled.
Andrew panicked, “I’m really sorry.”
He leaned inward and kissed Jane long and hard.
The door pulled open. A boy, similar to Andrew’s height, laughed. “Nice, Andrew,” he said.
Andrew stopped kissing and looked at the boy, “Get the hell out of here, Derek!”
Jane was stunned by the kiss.
Another boy peeked into the closet. “Wow, Andrew,” he said, “I never thought you’d sink low enough to make out with a freshman.”
“Just get the hell out of here, both of you!”
The boys laughed as they close the door. Andrew and Jane are alone.
“I’m really sorry about that,” Andrew groaned,” Those guys have been bothering all night. I thought I could get away in here.”
Jane was still pondering the kiss.
“Was it bad?” Andrew asked.
“No,” Jane replied. “I’m not sure. You’re the second person I’ve kissed.”
“Honestly, when I saw you with Brody, you looked like you were in trouble,” Andrew said. “I actually forgot about them.”
Jane suddenly remembered Becky was still out there unprotected.
“I have to find Becky,” she said.
Jane opened the door and left Andrew alone.
Jane pushed through the crowd. She stopped when she heard Becky’s voice, Of course, I’m single. Why would I be here if I wasn’t?”
Jane followed Becky’s voice as she continued to push past people.
She reached a clearing where Becky was sitting on a couch with three other people. Becky was holding a cup in her hands, and she was laughing really hard into someone’s ear.
“Becky!” Jane called out.
Becky turned towards Jane’s direction. “Oh, hey!” she said, “Jane!” Becky laughed and snorted. “Your name sounds like a sound effect. Jannnnnnnnee!”
Jane was horrified by Becky’s behavior.
“Becky, I’m not feeling very good,” she said.
“There’s some cough syrup over there somewhere,” Becky pointed off in the distance. “Not sure why, no one is coughing.” She laughed at her own comment.
Jane said firmly, “I need to go home.”
“Go home then,” Becky flung her arm into Jane’s face.
Jane had no choice. She turned and fought her way to the kitchen. When she got there, she picked up the phone.
* * *
Ten minutes later, Joyce pulled up in front of the house, double parking two cars. She barged her way into the open door.
“Out of my way! Move!” she shoved through the crowd. Joyce approached the couch.
“Rebecca!” she shouted.
The party noise went down two notches. Becky turned and looked at Joyce.
“Who are you?” she said angrily.
“I’m Jane’s mother,” Joyce said, “now come on.”
Joyce picked up Becky and threw her over her shoulder. Becky kicked and screamed.
“Put me down!” she yelled.
Joyce yelled at the crowd, “Everybody clear a path or I’m calling the cops!”
The crowd dissipated like roaches when the lights come on.
Joyce marched out the door.
Jane was already outside putting the bikes in the car. Joyce opened the back door and tossed Becky into the back seat.
“Ow!” Becky moaned.
Joyce slammed the door.
“Get in,” she yelled at Jane.
Jane didn’t hesitate. She climbed into the passenger seat while Joyce got behind the wheel. Joyce drove away, leaving a cloud of smoke behind her.
“Listen to me, Jane Hopper,” Joyce said firmly, “I appreciate it that you took responsibility and called me. I am glad that you're okay.”
Jane was silent. She sensed a lecture.
“What I don’t appreciate,” Joyce continued, “is the fact that you lied to me. I thought you were spending the night at your friend’s house.”
“I was,” Jane said, “But she sprung the party on me at the last minute.”
“Okay,” Joyce said, “but you could’ve just come home. Say that your mother didn’t want you out at parties. I am very upset with you, Jane.
“‘Friends don’t lie.’ Isn’t that what you always say?” Joyce asked. “What about me? Am I your friend?”
Jane was silent.
“Look,” Joyce went on, “I know I’m not your mom, but I want you to feel like I can be. I want you to trust me, and I want you safe.”
“I’m sorry, Mrs. Byers,” Jane murmured.
Joyce sighed. “If you could at least call me ‘Joyce,’ I might forgive you.”
“Really?”
“Maybe,” Joyce answered, “Right now, I don’t think it’s a good idea to hang with your new friend back there. I think she’s a bad influence.”
Joyce stopped at Becky’s house and carried Becky to the door. After a long conversation with Becky’s mother, she and Jane drove home.
* * *
Monday morning was cold. The brisk wind whipped through the parking lot.
Jane coasted through the day. Then it got to be fifth period. She sat down in her seat. Becky was already in hers; she was shielding her face.
“Becky,” Jane said quietly.
“Don’t talk to me,” Becky muttered angrily. “You got me grounded. I’m not supposed to even see you.”
Jane was silent. She remembered being grounded by Hopper, so she knew it was serious.
Hanson stood in front of the class, “All right, ladies and gentlemen, let’s begin.”
After class, Becky stormed down the hall. Jane ran to catch up with her.
“What was I supposed to do?” Jane called after her. “Did you think our parents wouldn’t find out?”
Becky stopped and faced Jane.
“I went because I wanted to have a good time,” Becky said. “Now, I can’t leave the house.”
“You were drunk!” Jane shouted.
“Yeah,” Becky yelled, “but I was having fun! Why don’t you just leave me alone!”
“Yeah, leave her alone, you slut!” another girl stood next to Becky facing Jane.
Jane was shocked. “What?”
Becky was confused. “What are you talking about?”
The girl continued, “Oh you don’t know?” She pointed at Jane, “This little twerp made out with Andrew Mason at the party on Friday.”
A second girl approached them, “Is this the girl, Susan?”
“This is the girl, Patty,” Susan answered.
Patty raised her hand and swiped it across Jane’s cheek.
Jane was stunned by the action. She stroked her cheek.
“Slut,” Patty enunciated.
Susan smacked Jane’s books out of her hands.
Jane bent down to pick them up. A third girl was behind her. She kicked Jane so hard Jane fell on her knees.
Jane sniffed.
“Yeah, you better cry,” the girl said, “You brought this one yourself.”
“Let’s go, girls,” Susan said aloud, “I feel dirty standing next to freshman sluts.”
All four girls marched down the hall toward the lunchroom.
Jane sat on her knees and cried.
* * *
Joyce was making herself some tea, after a long day's work, when the front door slammed. She turned to see Jane stomping through the house.
Jane made a beeline to her room and slammed the door.
Joyce knocked on the door. “You okay, sweetie?”
A piece of paper slid from under the door. Joyce picked it up.
“Leave me alone,” was scribbled on the paper.
Joyce leaned toward the door. She could hear Jane sobbing from inside.
Then there was a knock at the front door. 
Joyce opened the front door. She was surprised to see Becky standing outside.
“Hi, Becky,” she said harshly.
“Mrs. Byers, I’ve come to apologize,” Becky said. “I should not have taken Jane to that party. I should not have gone at all.
“Okay,” Joyce said.
“I’m not a bad person, Mrs. Byers, I just did a bad thing,” Becky went on, “I hope you can forgive me. And if it’s all right with you, I’d like to apologize to Jane as well.”
“I don’t think that’s a good time right now,” Joyce said.
“Did she seems upset when she came home?”
Joyce was surprised. “Yeah,” she said.
“It has to do with that party.”
* * *
Jane was sitting on her bed reading her book. She was still sniffling.
There was a knock at the door.
“Jane, honey,” Joyce said from outside, “there’s someone here to see you.”
Jane sighed and got up from her bed. She opened the door.
She was surprised to see Becky. She glared at her.
“Can I come in?” Becky asked.
Jane stepped back, still glaring.
“Thanks,” she turned to Joyce, “We’d like a minute alone please.”
Joyce shut the door.
Becky looked at Jane. Jane was still glaring.
“First, I just want to say,” Becky began,” that I can’t believe you made out with Andrew Mason.” She smiled at Jane.
Jane was confused.
“Do you know how many girls wanted to be Andrew’s first kiss?” Becky continued.
“Three?” Jane said through her teeth.
“Hundreds” Becky answered. “Those three were just jealous.”
Jane turned her back on Becky.
“Look, I’m sorry about the party,” Becky continued, “and I’m sorry about not stopping those girls from beating you up.”
Jane sat on her bed. Becky sat next to her.
“How was it?” Becky asked.
“Hurts,” Jane stroked her cheek.
“No, I meant the kiss.”
The memory came to Jane like a flood. There was a mixture of joy and sickness.
“That bad?” Becky asked.
“No,” Jane started to cry.
Becky felt sorry for what she was about to say.
“Well, to add more salt to the wound,” she said, “I asked around about you and Andrew, and it turns out it was bet made by Brody to get Andrew to play Seven Minutes in Heaven with a freshman.”
“What’s that?” Jane sniffed.
“It’s when you go into a closet or a room and you make out with someone for seven minutes. You just happened to be Andrew’s victim.”
“The worse part of that,” Jane said, “I liked it.”
“Oh no,” Becky sighed.
“Mike wasn’t even close,” Jane sobbed.
Jane leaned on Becky’s shoulder and let out another wave of tears.
“Oh, that bastard’s gonna get it,” Becky said, comforting Jane.
The next day, Jane and Becky wheeled their bikes toward the bike rack.
Andrew, Brody, and the gang were on the stairs to the school, laughing.
Jane and Becky walked up to them.
“Hey, Andrew!” Becky called out.
Andrew turned.
“Jane was your first kiss, right?” Becky continued.
Andrew smiled, “Yeah. Hey, Jane.”
Jane grabbed Andrew by the front of his collar and gave him a long smooch.
A couple of the boys whistled.
While still kissing, Jane raised her hand and struck Andrew across the face.
The movement caused Andrew to fall down on the stairs.
“Now, I’m your last,” Jane said over him. “Mouth breather.”
The other boys cackled.
Becky smiled and applauded.
Jane turned and went up to Brody. She kicked him right between the legs.
Brody’s laughter turned to coughing fits as he went down on his knees.
“Slut,” Jane said to him.
The other boys stopped laughing.
Jane looked at them. “Who’s next?”
The boys shook their heads and backed away.
Jane turned to see Becky’s shocked face.
“I think that was the most bitching thing I’ve ever seen,” Becky said.
Jane smiled. She laughed. Becky joined her.
Together, they walked into the building.

No comments:

Post a Comment